Sunday, September 30, 2012

Second Hand Shop Hop

     Most people cringe a little at the thought of a second hand shop, but the reality is that there are many great items that people don't use anymore and consequently many great finds in such stores. Especially if you are a frugal crafter like myself.  So when I noticed a stretch of road near where I live that had four second hand shops in the span of 3 blocks, I got quite excited. Everytime I'd go past them I'd think to myself: "this would be a great place to do a little shop hop". Although I go past them almost daily, I could never seem to find the time to go. Finally, this Saturday was the day.  I met up with a friend, backpacks and cloth bags at the ready and we went off to see what great things we could find.

     Of the four shops, we visited three. The first one being a little more out of the way and a "for profit organization", we started at the second shop: Bibles For Missions Thrift Store.

Bibles For Missions Thrift Store

     Once we'd finished browsing and purchasing we moved on to the next shop: Salvation Army Thrift Store.  I was a little excited for the Salvation Army Thrift Store since I volunteered at the Fort Frances branch last year, but unfortunately the pricing was different as well as the over "feel" of the shop. I suppose the big city mentality finds it's way into all shops and franchises.

Salvation Army Thrift Store

     The last shop we hopped to was the Goodwill Community Store which neighbored the Salvation Army Thrift Store. We were quite grateful for that considering we had accumulated a bit of a stash at that point.  It was a nice shop, quite spacious, lots of goodies to browse through and well organized.

Goodwill Community Store
     All in all we had a pretty nice afternoon. We found lots of great things: records, great vintage skirts, pretty yarns, knitting needles... The Second Hand Shop Hop was a success and I'm sure it won't be long before we start planning the next one.

Shannon and I with our stash of goodies

     This was a great way to spend my Saturday afternoon and I would suggest this activity for just about everyone.  Second hand shopping is a great way to support your community, be frugal and get really creative and crafty.  The wide variety of materials available at such stores is a real treat and can send you into a creative frenzy!  If you haven't already discovered the joys of second hand shopping, get out and try it! 

Keep Crafty Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment