Monday, September 3, 2012

Visit with Kim

     Over the summer (and through my new roomie) I've gotten the opportunity to meet another crafty lady: Kim! Though mostly into beading and jewelry making (her site can be found here), we both found a great opportunity to learn new skills from each other.  Although Kim doesn't live in Ottawa, she came by for a visit in August and we both got to explore each other's craft.  

     Kim was quite interested in crochet so we browsed through some of my books and magazines to find something nice and simple to make.  After going through pages upon pages of projects, she settled one a cute little lamb. Being super adorable, I decided to make one too.  The pattern is from Crochet World's April 2011 magazine issue. (This may be a US magazine, I'm not sure. I think I got it in the mail through a "free issue" coupon).

     Once the pattern was chosen, we dove into my yarn stash and found some colours for the project. I lent her one of my bazillion crochet hooks and away we went. I taught her the basics, making a slip knot, a chain, single crochet, double crochets, slip stitch... I was super impressed at how quick she picked it up.  We spent the evening crocheting away watching movies with our mutual friend (my roomie).


     Over the next few days and for the rest of her visit she worked diligently on the little lamb while kitties frequently came to investigate and cuddle.  Zija in particular seemed to really enjoy having another crocheter around.    

Zija enjoying crochet cuddles
Happy kitten
     In addition to crochet, we did many other crafty things; one involved a ceramic plate craft (see post Sharpies and Ceramic Plates) another was visiting a couple specialty bead stores downtown (see post Ottawa Bead Shops).  We wandered about downtown and checked out various stalls and came across some really neat stuff. Kim of course being mostly attracted to jewelry and minerals so I got to see and really examine things I normally would have walked right by.  It was a nice change of pace.

Kim checking out one of the stalls in the Byward Market downtown
Me and a moose at Crazy Moose
     And last but not least, what out-of-town-girl-friend-visit is complete without a matching set of pyjamas :).


     All in all I think it was a wonderful experience and a great visit. Having another crafty lady around was inspiring and just plain fun :)

Keeping it Crafty with company,

Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment