Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shannon's Purse

     A little while back I was out shopping with a new friend when she was about to buy a tote, saying she needed a new purse. Seeing the plain, expensive tote she was about to purchase I quickly halted her and offered to MAKE her a custom purse, with a design, colours and dimensions of her liking.  She quickly put down the tote and became excited at the idea.

     A few days later, Shannon came over to look at some fabrics and chose the colours she's like.  Once chosen we sat down and I began taking down notes and measurements. 

Materials to become a purse

     "How many inside pockets would you like?"
     "Would you like a key clip?"
     "How many pens should fit in the pocket?"

     I took out my measuring tape and measured her bus pass, the length of the straps on a previous purse she liked, the length of her pens... The whole process left her quite impressed as I buzzed about taking measurements, asking questions and taking notes.

     Once all the details were accounted for I began cutting out the lining, the pockets, the straps... I assembled the outside, assembled the inside lining, then sewed them together.  After the large amount of totes I made last year around this time I have become quite proficient at this design and finished up Shannon's new purse in just a couple days.  I also made up a little coin purse with matching lining.  For more photos of Shannon's Purse and it's making, check out HN&S facebook page here (album Shannon's Purse).

Completed Purse (with coin purse)

     When I handed over the new purse to Shannon she was absolutely in love with it! And I must say, there are few things in this life as rewarding as seeing a friend elated over something you created for them. Just one of the many rewards craftiness brings. And in that context, I encourage you all:

To Keep Crafty! And share with a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment